The following are bills that need urgent action.
Bills to Oppose:
This bill will allow concealed carry reciprocity, allow 18-20 year olds to concealed carry with a permit and require permits to concealed carry in Kansas postsecondary educational institution buildings. More about this bill here.
Stage of the Bill:
- Passed Kansas House
- Hearing in Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee on February 13, 2018 at 10:30am (Facebook event page here)
- Awaiting Senator Bud Estes to decide when the Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee will work the bill.
Actions Needed on HB 2042:
- Attend hearing on February 13, 2018 at 10:30am in 144-S in the Kansas State Capitol building.
- Submit opposition testimony in advance of the hearing.
- Tell the Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee to VOTE NO on HB 2042.
- Tell your Kansas Senators to oppose HB 2042.
This bill will mandate the use of NRA and Department of Wildlife designed curriculum for firearm safety classes in K-12 public schools. Read more about it here.
Stage of Bill:
- Hearing was on 2/6/2018 in House Federal and State Affairs Committee
- It passed out of the House Federal and State Affairs Committee with amendments
- Now it is in the full House. It will be voted on Thursday 2/22. Check here for more info.
Action Needed on HB 2460:
- Tell your representatives to oppose HB 2460 because it will mandate specific curriculum for firearm safety education. The NRA’s program and programs like it have been proven ineffective at getting children to not shoot each other.
Bills to Support:
This bill will repeal the law prohibiting state-funded entities from communicating with Legislature regarding gun laws. Read more about it here.
Stage of Bill:
- Introduced in Federal and State Affairs Committee 2/6/2018
- Currently awaiting hearing
Actions Needed on HB2766:
- Tell Chairman Barker of the House Federal and State Affairs Committee to give the HB 2766 a hearing.
- Ask the members of the House Federal and State Affairs Committee to ask Chairman Barker to give HB 2766 a hearing.
- Tell your legislators to support HB 2766 because it will allow universities, cities, and other state-funded entities to communicate with the Legislature about how gun laws or potential gun laws affect their institutions.
This bill will make it illegal for certain individuals to possess firearms, including convicted domestic abusers and individuals who have been issued court orders related to stalking, harassment or threats of violence against intimate partners or children.
Stage of Bill:
- Passed the House unanimously
- Hearing was on February 13, 2018 in Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee
- Awaiting the Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee to work the bill.
Action needed on HB 2145:
- Tell the Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee to support HB 2145 because guns drastically increase the risk of death in domestic violence and sexual assault situations. Read more about guns and sexual assault in a university context here.
Want updates and notices when we have urgent actions needed? Sign up for our email list: